The King George V Recreational Grounds were Malta’s first Playing Fields.
With the advent of the Malta Playing Fields Association in 1951, these grounds were taken over by this new foundation. A small building to house the association’s headquarters was erected at the same grounds. In following years, the Malta Playing Fields Association continued to provide playing equipment to these grounds, until local government was introduced in Malta in 1993. Since then, the Floriana Local Council is responsible for its upkeep. On 21st February 2008, the grounds were devolved to the Local Council, which carried out embellishment projects of the grounds’ facilities, including the tennis court and the football pitch.