Wignacourt Water Tower is an interesting stone structure with a three metre high circular pedestal and a rounded tower above supported by pilasters. The structure is topped by a floral stone sculpture. From the unusual shape one can immediately surmise that the structure has had nothing to do with defence, habitation or religious worship. In fact, it is a water tower forming part of an aqueduct system which brought water by gravity from high grounds around Mdina and Rabat to Floriana and Valletta. The fountain commemorates the inauguration of the aqueduct in 1615. It is complete with Wignacourt’s coat of arms and a drinking trough for horses.
https://www.florianalocalcouncil.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/full_wignacourt-water-tower_1.jpg 632 1140 sbarbara https://www.florianalocalcouncil.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/logo.png sbarbara2017-01-09 11:44:462017-04-04 13:59:38Wignacourt Water Tower